Space-time Formulation for Finite-Element Modeling of Superconductors

F. Grilli[1], F. Sirois[1], M. Laforest[1], and S. Ashworth[2][1]Ecole Polytechnique de Montréal, Montréal, QC, Canada [2]Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM, USA

In this paper we present a new model for computing the current density and field distributions in superconductors by means of a periodic space-time formulation for finite elements (FE). By considering a space dimension as time, we can use a static model to solve a time dependent problem. This allows overcoming one of the major problems of FE modeling of superconductors: the length of simulations, even for relatively simple cases. We present our first results and compare them to those obtained with a ‘standard’ time-dependent method and with analytical solutions.

User Comments

Kamel Boughrara
Jan 16, 2012 at 7:28pm UTC

I can not execut this model ?

Vladimir Derekic
Jan 19, 2011 at 1:15pm UTC

Nice!

Shoval Zoran
May 29, 2012 at 10:22am UTC

It looks like the creators know what they are trying to do, but the model is very anti-userfriendly; the results are not in the file; there is no Study node, no meshing, and when creating defaults for those the model cannot converge. The second file - Grilli_1_35a 2.mph executable in the ZIP-archive does not even open, and it constantly makes my COMSOL crash.

I will be glad and very interested if the model could be updated, perhaps to 4.2a version. Till then I cannot make any use of this model.

Login to comment on this entry.